We had 3 madrassah classes from 2013-2014, aged from between 9-14-ish. Class 2, then called Class Maryam, was given the homework assignment to present what they learnt about Prophet Muhammad's blessed family. This biographical study (Arabic: Seerah), is a religious component of Islamic studies and no mosque class or Islam course would overlook the love this topic deserves.
To help our young classes get to grips with the Seerah we broke down the history into sub-topics and highlighted important events in the course of the Prophet's 63 years of life.
- Make a presentation on a chosen topic
- Topics: His birth; his miracles; his training to prophethood; his role as a prophet; his family life; his meetings and leadership; his global invitation to Islam; his personality and character. [The slide above is from the marriages of RasoolAllah]
- To give students a varied learning experience we grouped 3-4 students of same age range but mixed ability so that two students could lead and manage
- Research the chosen topic
- Using a variety of books from the library (we're old school and believe in reading) and resources from our class, students were told to briefly list what they learnt and the best way to present their topic.
- For lineages, cartoon timelines work best while talking about the battles is presented wonderfully with mind-maps.
- Present to own class
- Presently our students presented their lessons to their own class in the role of the teaching assistant.
- We also held Friday assemblies in which families were invited to watch the whole class co-ordinate a group session for the rest of the mosque/madrassah. Check out their Shadow Puppet show on Prophet Yusuf!
- For the future we hoped to make inter-mosque links and present to others insha-Allah.
- Reward incentive: the best presentation wins an award/certificate and everyone participating gets a treat.
- Create an archive of data
- Finally, to showcase the students work you can hang up their posters or make a recording available on CD for parents. Our students printed and bound their work into books which made a great library addition ma-sha-Allah.
We hope this helps insha-Allah. Happy teaching!
Love, Zaufishan and Family.